Saturday, August 22, 2009

How do you relate to God?

The following is part of an ongoing conversation I am having with a friend via the internet. The friends started the conversation several weeks ago and we have sent messages back several times since then.

While there might be some value in sharing the entire conversation with you, I would not feel comfortable with doing so unless both parties (my friend and I) agreed to do so.

Nonetheless, I feel compelled to share my most recent response. (In order for you to understand the response you must first know that my friend has never made church attendance a priority in their life.)

I would love to hear your comments/thoughts/questions.

You are not bothering me at all. And I didn't mean to leave you hangin'. I really have been swamped and I want my response to be clear, so that means I have to think pretty hard :).
I don't know which questions are burning hotter and need attention, but I will take a stab. Feel free to steer me toward other issues if you would like!
I will start by responding to: "Nobody actually explained to me what it means to be catholic. I was just always told that's what I was."
In your context being told you are catholic means that at some point you were baptized by the Catholic church.
But that is sort of like me saying I'm German. I've never been to Germany. I have no known relatives in Germany. I don't even speak German (though I did take two years of it). And only some of my ancestors are from Germany. It would be much more accurate to say that I am American, but that my family background is German.
Or perhaps it is like saying I am a soccer player. I once was a soccer player. I played for 12+ years, pretty much from the time I was 5 until I was 17. I haven't played on a real team since High School and this year is my 20 year reunion. Certainly it is living in the past, clinging to something old and no longer true for me to say that I am a soccer player. I USE to be a soccer player. I WISH I could still play soccer. Whatever, but I am NOT a soccer player anymore.
You were baptized Catholic. Perhaps you went to Mass/church for a while, maybe you didn't I don't know. Going to Mass/church is about relating to God in a certain way.
Perhaps at one time it was fair to say that you related to God as a Catholic. (you went to Mass, you prayed the rosary, you participated in confession, you took the Eucharist (communion). But you haven't related to Him in that way for a very long time.
So here is the question: "How do you relate to God now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment



A Few Games...
because everybody needs a break now and then


Bubble Shooter